Thursday 14 November 2019

Episode 24 - Dinner is served


Tuesday cont, then Wednesday


Nigel was late for the impromptu dinner party. The Hurleys, Dorothy and Vera had started without him after putting the little ones to bed.
“I expect he’s gone to his rehearsal after all.”said Gary.
“Are they coming again at Christmas, Daddy?” Charlie wanted to know. She had been very impressed with the travesty show the previous year.
“I haven’t invited them,” said Dorothy. “Two years on the run is a bit much exotic entertainment for a village like Upper Grumpsfield. We’ll just do some carol singing with the church choir.”
“What a bore,” said Charlie.
“It’s too late to organize a pantomime, Charlie, and I’m sure Nigel has enough to do with the shows he’s aready signed up for.”
***
Nigel’s timing was very good, thought Cleo as she let the straggler in.
“Can you do a show at short notice,” Charlie piped up before anyone else could say anything.
“Who’s inviting us?”
“Me,” said Charlie.
“No, she isn’t,” said Gary.
“We’re doing a new show this year,” said Nigel. “That’s why I had to go to the rehearsal, and that’s why I’m late. Sorry, Cleo.”
“What kind of a show?” Charlie asked.
“Grownup, if it happens. We’re all dressed like characters from history.”
“Who are you?” Charlie asked.
“Shirley Holmes.”
“You mean Sherlock Holmes,” said Charlie.
I mean Shirley. We dress up as ladies, remember!”
“It sounds awful,” said Dorothy. “Where did you get that idea?”
“From Wilhemina Shakespeare,” said Nigel.
“That’s stupid,” said Charlie.
“It’s definitely not suitable for Upper Grumpsfield,” said Dorothy.
“I didn’t think it would be. It’s far too witty for villagers.”
Dorothy scowled. 
“Can we get down to business, you guys,” said Cleo. “I’m surprised at your bad taste in entertainment, Nigel.”
“So you won’t come and see it, will you?”
“Certainly not,” said Cleo. “Help yourself to casserole.”
“Thank you. I am rather hungry.”
Nigel disappeared into the kitchen to serve himself. He was amused about the reactions to his idea for a new show. Dorothy had been horrified and Vera had not looked too happy, either. Gary had not hidden his disapproval. Perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea, after all. It had only been in its infancy. The show this year was a touched up repeat of last year’s, but he would not tell them that.
“Can we have the ice-cream now?” Charlie asked.
“You can, Sweetheart. We’ll wait till Nigel has finished his casserole.”
“Can I take it to my room?”
“Sure.”
***
Was the grownups’ relief only in my imagination?
***
Dorothy’s report on the visit to Miss Plimsoll met with approval. Charlie had wanted more ice-cream, so she overheard the story and sat on the sofa in front of the log fire to finish her ice.
“Is Miss Plimsoll going to prison, Daddy?” Charlie called over her shoulder.
“No. She’s just a bit bad-tempered with strangers,” said Gary. “Go to bed.”
“I’m eatiung my ice cream,” Charlie protested.
“Well, hurry,” said Gary.
“But we’re not strangers, Daddy, and she’s always shouting at us.”
“I know, Sweetheart. She’s too old for her job.”
“I told her to change her attitude,” said Vera. “She was very rude to us.”
“Forget her,” said Gary.
“I’ll do my best,” said Vera.
“So will I,” said Charlie.
***
Let’s move on to Peel, shall we?” said Cleo. “Charlie – off to bed and brush your teeth after eating all that sweet stuff.”
“Again?”
“Yes again,” said Cleo.
OK, Mummy,” said Charlie and went round the dining-table hugging everyone and so dragging out the time she could hang around. But she did eventually leave them to it.
“I don’t really want Charlie to know all about Peel,” said Gary in a low voice.
“I can hear you!” shouted Charlie from the bathroom.
“Stop listening!” Gary shouted back.
“Just keep it short,” said Nigel. “You can tell me the whole tale at HQ and I’ll make it into a report. I’ll do same for your meeting, Dorothy.”
“So let’s wind up this little conference soon, shallwe?” said Gary. “I’ve got to talk to Arthur Mills tomorrow, so I need a little break from crime.”
“Do I know him well enough?” Vera asked.
“Who are we talking about?” Dorothy asked.
“He’s the man who seems to be taking over at the home,” said Vera.
“So you know him, do you?” said Cleo.
“Slightly, but I think he’d been hanging around Mrs Peel for days if not weeks.”
“Well, well,” said Gary. “What did you think of him, Vera?”
“Sly. Dishonest. Decadent. Loud-mouthed.”
“Wow. He certainly made an impression on you,” said Cleo.
“He fawned around Mrs Peel, I remember, but he was up to something and I think she knew what.”
“Did you talk to anyone about him?”
“I wasn’t there very long, was I? But someone said he was part of Mrs Peel’s past.”
“Who?”
“A funny little guy named Louis,” said Vera. “Smelt of eau-de-cologne and wore a fob watch like the old days.”
“That ties in,” said Gary.
“How?” said Dorothy.”With what?”
“Some of Mrs Peel’s last words at the hospital.”
“Hospital?”
“You’ll have to wait a day or two, Ladies. We’ve done a couple of exhumations.”
“Go on. Say why,” said Dorothy.
“Mrs Peel probably murdered all three of her husbands. Two have been exhumed. We need to know the cause of death. Mrs Peel was accused of murdering husband number one, but got away with it. When husband number two died overnight like the first,  there was gossip.”
“That doesn’t come as surprise,” said Vera. “I think she would have murdered all the home-dwellers if she could get them to leave her their money.”
“That’s a pretty shocking appraisal,” said Cleo.
“To continue; We know what happened to Barclay, Peel’s third husband, but she probably helped to kill Barclay’s wife to free Barcley so that he could marry her and she would then be part owner of the home.”
“That would give her the motive for killing Barclay,” said Dorothy. “Always look for the motive.”
“So where does Arthur Mills come into all this?” Vera asked.
“That’s one of the questions I hope Mr Mills will answer,” said Gary, yawning widely.
“I think we’d better go home, Vera. Gary needs his sleep.”
“I’ll let you kow how I get on,” said Gary, jumping to his feet. “And I’ll walk you home.”
“No need,” said Dorothy.
“I need some fresh air. That Chianti was heavy stuff.”
“I’ll drive the Ladiues home,” said Nigel. “I was going anyway and I did not drink any Chianti. Do you want me to write notes at Mills’s questioning tomorrow?”
“That would be good, Nigel, and don’t be offended by my attitude to your show.”
“I’m not,” said Nigel. “I was having you on.”
“What a relief,” said Cleo. “Even I was shocked.”
“It’s the English black humour,” said Vera. “You Amaricans never did catch on to it.”
***
Interviewing Arthur Mills was not something Gary was looking forward to, but as Cleo had pointed out while they were drinking their traditional nightcap and discussing the ongoing investigation, Mills was starting to look like a suspect.
“Suspected of what?”
“Ask him,” said Cleo.
“You don’t expect him to tell me, do you?”
“Not really.”
Gary thought it unlikely that Mrs Peel would have offered Mills accommodation if she hadn’t had a good reason. He had probably stalked her in the old days when he was looking for his newspaper stories, and turned up recently to remind her of her past long after she had gone to great pains to forget it.
“What if she invited him?” Cleo suggested.
“Why would she do that?”
“To enlist his help.”
“Is that likely?” Gary asked.
“Peel told us that Barclay was away on vacation when she probably already knew he was in that wine tank,” said Cleo. “I think she was ruthless and capable of anything.”
“Then I should make a point of asking Mills what Peel was really like,” said Gary.
“He’ll know she’s dead before your questioning, Gary, so he can say what he likes if it exoneraters him.”
“Then I’d better improvise, Cleo. That has worked before.”
“Can you film the interview?”
“Of course. That’s one of the new ways of keeping records of suspects.”
“So you’ll have footage of Peel, won’t you?”
“Yes, but nothing incriminating him.”
“Are you sure?”
“No, but I’ll get the interview over first.”
“You could tell him that he’ll be thrown out of the home if he can’t pay,” said Cleo.
“We don’t know if he’s down and out,” said Gary.
“Maybe not. But that threat will alarm him and maybe put him off his guard.”
***
Two hours later Gary was sitting opposite Arthur Mills enjoying the coffee he had made for both of them. Nigel was sitting in a corner from where he could observe Mills but n ot seen by him.
“Who told you about Mrs Peel’s death, Mr Mills?” was Gary’s opening gambit. Straight to the point. He did not think that pfaffing around would work.
“The hospital phoned. Someone has to look after things,” said Mills.
“But you were already looking after things, weren’t you?”
“Nobody else seemed capable.”
“But you are,” said Gary.
“Agnes called me a few weeks ago and asked me to help her run the home.”
“A few weeks ago? Her husband was still alive then,” said Gary. “Did you meet him?”
“Briefly. He was going on holiday, he said.”
“But he did not go on holiday, Mr Mills. Do you know where he went?”
Arthur Mills could not decide in which direction the ‘talk’ was going.
“Think carefully, Mr Mills. We don’t want you contradicting yourself.”
“I went back to Bristol to collect some more clothes and when I returned he had gone.”
“So he left in your absence, did he?”
“If that’s where he went, yes?”
“And if he never left the house?”
“Why wold he stay when he had told everyone he was going?”
“Everyone?”
“Everyone knew, so he must have told them,” said Mills, not sure if he was being logical enough to convince the inquisitive D.I.
“He could have been in the cellar, of course,” said Mills after due thought.
“Drinking the old wine, Mr Mills?”
“I suppose so.”
“Did Mrs Peel tell you that?”
“There was some fresh wine in the cellar and Mr Barclay was rather fond of it.”
“So you went down into the cellar and drank with him, did you?”
Mills nodded. He was cursing himself for mentioning the cellar.
Gary was aware that Mills had given the game away.
“What did you quarrel about, Mr Mills?” Gary asked. “About Agnes?”
“We didn’t quarrel,” said Mills.
“You did.”
Mills seemed to be recalling his anger at what Barclay had said.
“He said some nasty things about her, and I thought she was his dream woman.”
“So you defended her, did you?”
“Any gentleman would have.”
“Do you know that Agness and Barclay killed Barclay’s first wife?”
“She got away with it – I mean – Barclay did it.”
“Is that what she told you?”
“We had promised to come together one day. Why would she kill a wife if she was promised to me?”
“That’s romantic rubbish and you know it, Mills.”
Mills reflected on that. Had he been a fool? Had he fallen for Agnes’s soft talk? And he a hard-headed journalist. He swept the sinking feeling away. The D.I. was making it up as he went along.
***
“I knocked him cold with one blow. He was younger than me, but I was a prize boxer in my youth. I don’t like it when men say bad things about their wives.”
“Very commendable. Would you like me to finish off the scene for you?”
“No.”
“I will, anyway… Your ex-lover Agnes listened in to what Barclay said about her and was furious, though she wanted him out of the way. She came down the steps into the cellar and told you how she had come to hate him. You enjoyed that confession. It made you feel powerful and loved. You saw a chance to be rid of him and telepathy between you and Agness, or simply the mutual desire to be rid of the man, led to Barclay, who was slowly regaining consciousness, being dragged up the wine tank rungs and draped over the open tank. Agnes saw her chance and brought the cellar ladder next to you and climbed up. Together you tipped Mr Barlay into the wine tank. End of story.”
“He toppled in,” said Mills. “No one pushed him.”
“Are you sure?”
“Agnes might have.”
“And she is conveniently dead.”
“She wanted him out of the way. We were coming together after 20 long years,” said Mills.
So that was it. Mills, who was a good deal older than Agnes Peel, had received favours from her in the old days and was building on them.
“I think that’s all we need to know, Mr Mills.”
“Can I go now?”
“Yes…down to our guest apartments.”
Mills looked puzzled.
“I’ve got to get back to Pensioner’s Paradise. They are having a memorial party for Mrs Peel.”
“You can have a party all of your own in one of the cells, Mr Mills. I’m charging you with the murder of Mr Barclay.”
“But it was Agnes,” Mills protested. “She did it. It was all her idea so that we could be together for ever.”
“Tell that to the judge, Mr Mills.”
***

No comments: